Sunday, December 25, 2011

What would you regret not doing in your life?

No one wants to live a life with regrets.  Not taking the time to find your passion and follow your dream may be one of the biggest regrets you will ever have.  Sometimes the answer to our passion lies in the very question above.  “What would you regret not doing in your life?”  What is it that you’ve always wanted to do?

If you’ve been following along in the previous posts, you collected a lot of information about yourself.  You’ve taken a look at your current situation, your past, your strengths, and weaknesses.  Now that you have all of that information, it’s time to see if you can tie them together with the desires you have always had inside you. 

Look at all that you have gathered together.  Look for the common elements. Is there something in there that really excites you?  Now look at what you’ve always wanted to do.  Start with these questions:

  • What would I regret not doing?
  • What motivates me?
  • What would I do if I knew I would not fail?
This is the only life you get.  The biggest injustice you could ever do to yourself is to never start living.  There is a poem by Kirk Nugent that I stumbled on as I was searching for my passion.  Here is one excerpt that really stood out to me.

I never listened to what the pessimists are telling me

            Because I know that the richest place on the planet is the cemetery. 
 
            There you will find books that were never written,
            Loved ones that were never forgiven,
            Ideas that were smitten
            And dreams that were forbidden.
            Soil that was never tilled, cathedrals that were never built!
            Restaurants that were never opened

            Chefs that never knew they were smoking.
            Paintings that were never drawn nor hung,
            Songs that were neither composed nor sung
            Souls that never acted on what they really wanted to do

            So don’t you dare die with your greatness buried within you!

 You can hear the rest of the poem here.


You may discover that you have more passions than you thought you did.  Two of the many things I discovered were that I would regret not starting my own business, and traveling extensively.  I’m working on both now.  What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment