Friday, December 23, 2011

What are my talents? What are my strengths? Am I using them to follow my dream?

These were interesting questions to me.  When I first started thinking about my talents, nothing jumped out.  Most people don’t think broad enough when thinking of a talent.  Their perception of talents immediately jumps to singing, dancing, or sports.  People think, “I’m not any good at those things, so I guess I really don’t have a talent” and limit their focus.  After all, that’s what society has identified as worthwhile talents.  Just look at all the TV shows built around discovering “talent.”  After all, how many accountants are winning these shows because they a phenomenal at working a spreadsheet and have an innate ability to understand numbers.  EXACTLY!! 

You may have a talent like singing or athletics,and that's great, but don’t limit yourself to the generic understanding of what a talent, or ability is.  For me, I can’t sing, dance, or play sports in any spectacular way.  I can draw reasonably well, and I have a very creative and inventive mind.  I even took the Myers-Briggs personality test (INTJ in case you were wondering).  It really didn’t tell me any more about myself, but it did confirm to me on why I think the way I do.  I also did a lot of soul searching.  I asked myself a few questions:

  • What do I do that really energizes me? 
  • What can I really focus on that I enjoy doing?
  • What are my strengths?
  • What things do I like to do?
  • What am I good at?
I kept a small note pad with me throughout the day.  Whenever I found myself engrossed in something, or found something particularly easy, and enjoyable, I jotted it down.  I did this for about a week (you can do longer if you like).  Then I went back and looked at it.  One of the main things I discovered is that I’m a natural problem solver.  Doesn’t sound like much of a talent does it?  I guess I would make a pretty lame super hero.  Anyway, I enjoy the complexity of issues, and finding creative ways to overcome them.  I am an analytical thinker, I’m good at assessing situations, I can see the “big picture”, and can see trends and potential outcomes based on different scenarios. I also have a creative side.  I enjoy the challenge of the planning and execution of the plan.  I discovered other talents that I do possess, but this talent has served me well.

Let your searching begin…

No comments:

Post a Comment