Monday, December 26, 2011

Is fear keeping you from pursuing your passion?

Fear can be a very useful thing in your life.  In some cases it is what keeps us alive.  In fact, you come hardwired with many natural fears.  For example, you may have a fear of snakes or even heights.  Sometimes it’s just a feeling you get when you are about to do something you feel is unsafe.  You instinctively want to preserve your own life.  The problem is when you allow your fears to control your life.

Is fear keeping you from pursuing your passion?  Many people never follow their passion because of fear.  You may be afraid of failure, or afraid of what others will think.  You may have financial fears.  The truth is that most people never trust themselves enough to follow their own dream.  This is the only life you get, so you only get one shot at living the life you want.  This became amazingly clear to me while I was doing my own passion pursuit.  I was afraid of what other people would think of my ideas, or of me for pursuing them.  I did not have enough confidence in myself, or the people around me.  I justified my own inaction by allowing my fears to have priority in my life.  Bottom line is, not every idea is going to work, and that’s okay.  Not everyone around you is going to believe in you, and that’s okay too.  You are the one that has to live your life, not them.  You are the only one that can free yourself from your fears and take action. If you read my last post titled “What would you regret not doing in your life?” you can see how fear plays into regret.  Simply put:

FEAR = REGRET

Like I said before, not everything is going to work, and that is okay.  YOU have to be okay with that.  Once you understand that, you can climb out of your nice little box you built for yourself and try something new.  Don’t let your fears keep you from your dream.  A life of “what if’s”, is a life not lived.  Don’t paralyze yourself by making up your own excuses.  Don’t waste the only life you have.


  • What are your fears?
  • How are your fears keeping you from pursuing your dream?
  • Are your fears valid? (Be honest)
  • Are you in your own way?
  • What can you do to overcome your fears?

No comments:

Post a Comment